May 21, 2019
Nice Acropolis Convention Centre,
Making Sense of Optical Transport Options for 5G
A FREE Light Reading Breakfast Workshop @ NGON & DCI Europe
5G & Optical Transport
The breakfast workshop is designed to provide an overview of the biggest architectural and technology options network operators face as they update and build new transport networks to support 5G.
Scale and performance requirements dictated by the 5G radio network are forcing a radical re-think of the fronthaul, midhaul and backhaul networks that support 5G. There is strong industry consensus that the physical medium for 5G "xhaul" will be fiber. However, beyond this consensus point, there are many options being put forward and much debate – including choice of transport protocols and even basic physical layer decisions for fiber.
This workshop focuses on 5G infrastructure – from the wireline/transport side, and specifically optical access, aggregation and metro core networks – and will explore the range of 5G xhaul transport options with the goal of mapping each to the specific requirements of the 5G RAN and anticipated applications.
- How do capacity, performance and applications requirements of 5G radio map to access/aggregation/core transport networks?
- Attributes and drivers for distributed RAN vs. centralized RAN access for 5G
- Overview of various fiber-based options for 5G access including dark fiber, passive CWDM, active DWDM, NGPON2 and XGS PON
- Overview of eCPRI and how it affects the RAN
- Benefits of new technologies such as FlexE and FlexO for 5G
Who should attend
Network operators attending NGON will be interested in this workshop. This includes mobile operators that lease capacity, mobile operators that have their own networks, converged network operators and wholesale operators that sell capacity to other providers.
Registration for NGON & DCI Europe is required to attend the breakfast. Use discount code LR30 to save 30% off your NGON & DCI pass here:https://tmt.knect365.com/next-generation-optical-networking/