Steve McLindenT20-Digital Programme Manager at Mid and West Wales Fire & Rescue Service
Steve is a professional firefighter with over 30 years operational experience and is responsible for delivery of the ‘Transformation2020 Digitisation (T20)’ programme within Mid and West Wales Fire & Rescue Service.
He has headed up several departments within the service and also spent 2 ½ years seconded to the Welsh Government as Assistant Fire and Rescue Advisor for Wales where he developed the National Fire and Rescue Framework; The Guiding Principles for Dwelling Fire Response and the Operational Assurance of Service Delivery processes.
In 2016 Steve set up the services Air Support Unit and led the project to introduce Drones into the Service.
Within the T20 programme he is currently leading innovation in five key areas;
- The GovTech Challenge to develop ‘instantly deployable real time tracking of fire fighters within buildings at incidents’;
- Delivery of ‘Intelligent management of operational assets’ through exploiting RFID technologies and artificial intelligence;
- Implementation of a bespoke Incident Command & Situational Awareness software platform – ‘IRIS’, which has been developed through a Collaborative Innovation Procurement process with leading ‘tech start up’ UnBlur.
- The integration of 3D building maps into the GovTech tracking and IRIS Incident Command Solutions, which are created from existing Business Fire Safety CAD drawings;
- The roll out of an instantly deployable 4G Wi-Fi network to provide a reliable digital network solution at operational incidents.
Steve’s role is to drive innovation and to exploit technology to improve Firefighter safety and the business processes of the organisation.