November 9, 2018
Join us for Software Defined Operations & the Autonomous Network
A combined event for OSS & the Era of SDN & NFV and Automation & the New Carrier Network
about the 2018 event
Automation is the end-game for software-defined networking (SDN) and network functions virtualization (NFV), but that goal is sometimes easy to forget. NFV turned out to be complicated, especially when it comes to management and network orchestration (MANO), and the result has been a tangle of open source projects vying for attention alongside vendors' end-to-end architectures. Interoperability remains a puzzle, and the potential for vendor lock-in still looms.
For carriers, it's time to take a step back. All these disparate efforts point to the finish line of an automated network, where orchestration, service deployment and lifecycle management meet. The options are plentiful and not necessarily compatible.
The Light Reading workshop Automation & the New Carrier Network, will broker a conversation about what the industry's next steps should be. Industry leaders will discuss the state of automation, NFV and SDN, and stimulate a dialogue about how to fit the pieces together and map them to sustainable business cases.
Among the topics to be explored:
- How do data models and information models fit into this, and how can carriers drive these efforts?
- What impact are the multiple NFV MANO initiatives having on enabling automation?
- Where and how are goals for automation being defined and time-tables being set?
- How can operators ensure automation and virtualization don't create new attack surfaces for hackers?
- What are vendors doing to prepare for automated deployment of software-defined network functions?
- What roles do AI/machine learning and big data/analytics play in enabling automation?
- What is the role here for traditional industry bodies such as ETSI, TM Forum and MEF?
- What stands in the way of the industry solving the automation puzzle?
- Are automation and multi-vendor ecosystems in sync or at odds with each other?