AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) is a world leader in communications, media and entertainment, and technology. With our acquisition of Time Warner, we are building a truly modern media company that will create the best entertainment and communications experiences in the world.
AT&T has recorded 34 consecutive years of quarterly dividend growth. We’re a Fortune 10 company.
The recently completed acquisition of Time Warner brings together the three key elements in media and entertainment that are required to transform how video is distributed, paid for, consumed and created:
- Premium Content: No one does premium content better than the terrific talent at HBO, Turner and Warner Bros. Add in targeted content such as Bleacher Report, Boomerang and FilmStruck, and AT&T's investment in Otter Media's properties, and we have a robust content portfolio that can drive viewer engagement to new levels.
- Direct to Consumer (D2C) Distribution: AT&T's more than 170 million unique D2C connections across its wireless, video and broadband businesses provide valuable subscriber insights to better inform how we deliver advertising, what content we distribute and how we distribute that content. And we also have an opportunity to significantly grow our D2C streaming services such as HBO NOW, DIRECTV NOW and Boomerang.
- High-Speed Networks: The more customers engage with premium content the more access they will need to network bandwidth. And demand will only continue to grow with 4K and virtual reality. That's why we're investing heavily in 5G wireless and our fiber network to ensure our customers will always have a great viewing experience whenever they want to watch their favorite content.
The merger also enables AT&T to create a new option for advertisers to find and reach relevant audiences at scale in trusted, premium content environments. We have an opportunity to do for video advertising what others have done with digital advertising but with greater transparency, brand-safety and accountability.
The AT&T-Time Warner combination is powerful, creating a virtuous cycle…great content to drive engagement…broad, direct-to-consumer distribution…high speed networks to reach more consumers…all fueled by relevant advertising and insightful analytics to improve the overall consumer experience.
The merger will allow us to reinvent the way the media and entertainment industry works for consumers, content creators, distributors and advertisers.
Consumers will soon see innovations and benefits. We plan to create new bundles that feature entertainment and mobile connectivity – across a broader range of price points. For example, we’ll create:
- WatchTV – our $15 lean bundle without sports-only or local channels which will be available at no extra charge to our wireless customers on eligible unlimited plans.
- New forms of content…like personalized CNN news clips or shorter versions of content from WarnerMedia’s world-class TV and movie library…all for mobile viewing
Access to AT&T’s viewership data – previously unavailable to WarnerMedia – will help provide new, anonymized insights that will help us create content better tailored to consumers’ viewing trends and preferences. We can also improve content acquisition and optimize program scheduling.
Owning content gives us more flexibility to deliver cross-screen content. Also, we have the opportunity to significantly grow our direct-to-consumer streaming services such as HBO NOW, DIRECTV NOW and Boomerang.
With our new advertising & analytics start-up company, we’re creating a new option for advertisers to find and reach desired audiences at scale in trusted, premium content environments.
We have an opportunity to do for video advertising what others have done with digital advertising but give marketers greater transparency, brand-safety and accountability for their advertising investment.
AT&T is comprised of four distinct business units:
- AT&T Communications provides mobile, broadband, video and other communications services to U.S.-based consumers and more than 3 million companies – from the smallest business to nearly all the Fortune 1000 – with highly secure, smart solutions. Revenues from these services totaled more than $150 billion in 2017.
- WarnerMedia consists of HBO, Turner and Warner Bros. Together, these businesses had revenues of more than $31 billion in 2017.
- AT&T Latin America provides mobile services in Mexico to consumers and businesses, plus pay-TV service across 11 countries in South America and the Caribbean. It had revenues of more than $8 billion in 2017.
- AT&T’s advertising & analytics business provides marketers with advanced advertising solutions using valuable customer insights from AT&T’s TV, mobile and broadband services, combined with extensive ad inventory from Turner’s cable networks and AT&T’s pay-TV services. A name for this company will be announced in the future.
We're working to improve lives every day through support for our local communities. With our signature education initiative, AT&T Aspire, we committed $400 million to help provide access to the education and training people need to get and keep good jobs. And our IT CAN WAIT campaign has inspired more than 25 million pledges to never text and drive.
Our history of innovation is a story about people from all walks of life coming together to improve how we interact with the world around us. Today, we’re a leader in diversity with a commitment to fostering an inclusive culture. We strive to be a great place to work and a desired business partner. We embrace our responsibility to reduce our environmental impact on the planet and are committed to helping our customers use our technology for social good.
In Mexico, we’re recognized as a Socially Responsible Company by the Mexican Center for Philanthropy (Cemefi) and Alliance for Corporate Social Responsibility (AliaRSE).
In Latin America and the Caribbean, through Generación DIRECTV, we’re a leading force in the transformation of communities. We focus on education, volunteerism, philanthropy and sustainability. Programs like Escuela+, Piedra, Papel and Tijera span a decade of work for improving local communities.
This year, were named a top 5 Great Place to Work® in Mexico across all industries and a top 25 in Latin America.
Through WarnerMedia, we have a strong vision of what it means to be a responsible media company in today’s society. We work to create diverse and original content that deepens the conversation on issues that matter. We invest millions of dollars and thousands of volunteer hours to develop next-generation, diverse storytellers who can help us ensure an inclusive artistic landscape. We also collaborate across the industry to support diverse enterprises. And we work to reduce our environmental impact as we serve a global audience.