Dolan BeckelDirector, Civic Innovation at City of San Jose
Dolan Beckel is the Chief Innovation Officer for San José City Manager Dave Sykes. Dolan is responsible for solving San Jose’s most wicked civic challenges at scale with innovative technology and process strategies and solutions. This includes leading San Jose’s efforts in digital transformation, online digital services, Internet of Things (IoT), 5G and broadband deployments, public private partnerships, digital inclusion, city-wide data analytics, and San José Smart City Roadmap.
San Jose seeks to be the most innovative City in America in 2020. Under Dolan’s leadership, the City is delivering community impact through innovation by:
- Forging public private partnerships with multiple telecom providers to deploy the largest 5G small cell and fiber telecom infrastructure investment (over $500,000,000 in private sector investment) in the country thereby creating the connectivity foundation for the 21st century;
- Creating a $24,000,000 digital inclusion fund to close the digital divide for over 50,000 households in San José through connectivity, device, and digital skills programs.
- Being the first city in the nation to deploy the national FirstNet emergency responder solution on a City-wide basis allowing over 3000 employees secured voice and data communications during disaster and emergencies;
- Deploying fleet telematics IoT solutions at scale across the City’s vehicle fleet;
- Installing smart lighting controllers on most city street lights that can provide energy savings, copper theft awareness, pedestrian footfall counts, light pole impact notification, earthquake detection, IoT device connectivity, and other features;
- Saving water through smart irrigation sensors and sprinklers across all city parks; and
- Partnering with a local school district to install the nation’s largest free community wi-fi solutions to the most digitally under served and low-income neighborhoods.
During Dolan’s tenure the City has won many awards including:
- Smart Cities Smart 50 Awards - Digital Transformation and Urban Operations;
- Gov Tech - Top 25 Doers; and
- Bloomberg What Works Cities - among the highest performing data driven local governments.
In his professional career spanning over 33 years, Dolan is a sought-after innovation and technology advisor who has advised dozens of companies ranging from startups to Fortune 500. Dolan spent over 20 years at Accenture where he was an associate Partner in Accenture’s Communications and High-Tech consulting practice. He was co-founder of Fathom Solutions which provided strategy and IT consulting services across the nation until it was purchased by Cognizant Technology Solutions. He has worked with many of the Country’s most prominent technology and telecommunications companies including AT&T, Verizon, and TransUnion. Dolan has transitioned from the ‘billable hour’ to the ‘fulfillable hour’ and is lending his expertise to the City of San José to drive innovation in an inclusive and equitable manner for the greater good of the community.