Monday, May 15th
IoT Business Fundamentals Workshop
This full-day workshop consists of two parts. In the morning, we cover IoT technology from a value-centric perspective. This view prioritizes value creation and more fully explains the interconnectivity and dependencies between IoT system components. In the afternoon, we cover IoT business. This begins with how IoT deepens the customer relationship and then moves into the core of business: value creation and how to monetize that value using IoT business models. After finishing this workshop, students will understand the fundamentals needed to start developing their company’s IoT technology and strategy.
WORKSHOP AGENDA OVERVIEW
MORNING SESSION: IoT TECH
How the Internet of Things works so you can put it to work.
Big Picture and Architecture
- Cyber model
- Embedded systems
- Connected sensors/actuators
- Protocols, OT network, IT network, backhaul, fog, product cloud, the IoT Platform
- Analytics, external data services, business systems, other IoT products
Analytics on Big & Small Data
- Descriptive, streaming, predictive and prescriptive analytics and more
- How it works
Cyber Security & Risk Management
- Threats and sources of liability
- Risk assessment
AFTERNOON SESSION: IOT BUSINESS
How the Internet of Things transforms business.
Big Business Picture
The Changing Customer Relationship
- From casual to intimate
- Increased customer lifetime value
Creating Value with IoT
- The four ways to create value with IoT
- Value modeling
- App requirements
- Analytics requirements
Monetizing IoT Value
- The IoT Business Model Continuum
- Business model choices and examples
- The business model as the feature
- The IoT Business Plan
- Development order and dependencies
- Best practices
Absolutely loved it. Best overview of IoT and all its components from what it is to the business side to the practical examples side and everything in between.
The workshop provided good insights on how to approach business opportunities in the emerging IoT space. Understanding how value is created and captured with data will transform industries. The tools and framework provided in the workshop are excellent starting points for any enterprise that wants to take advantage of IoT.
A very good intro to the field and most importantly, kept focus on applying the technical capabilities to return business value. Good caveats regarding areas to watch out for and future guidance. Structure and organization of the workshop was quite good.