VIP Village Sponsors
GAMTEL (Gambia Telecommunications Company Ltd)
Company Profile (GAMTEL)
- The Gambia Telecommunications Company Limited (GAMTEL) is a state-owned limited liability company established by an act of parliament in 1984. GAMTEL is the primary provider of telecommunication services in the Gambia.
- By the early 1990s, GAMTEL grew up to be a very efficient and successful business entity, second only to South Africa on the African continent in terms of telephone penetration and efficient service delivery.
- In 2014, GAMTEL received The Golden Europe Award for Quality and Commercial Prestige from The Other Ways Management Association Club-Paris (OMAC) in Geneva, Switzerland. GAMTEL was chosen out of over 100 companies shortlisted nominees for the prestigious international award.
- GAMTEL has a fiber optic ring (National Backbone) that runs through the length and breadth of the country, making it one of the most ICT-connected countries in Africa. The company provides affordable and reliable telecommunication services throughout the country for business and non-business alike, and helps support the Gambia economy and develop sustainable growth.
- GAMTEL is still the leading ISP in the Gambia and the only fixed-line operator.
- We put our customers first
- We are professionals
- We are committed to innovation, quality and improvement and
- We work as a team
To be a leader in Providing World-Class Telecommunications and Related Services.
Our aim is to enable people to connect with people anywhere, anytime.
Ownership and Control
- The company is managed by a team of directors who report to the Board of Directors appointed by the Government.
- The Board comprises independent and non-executive members who report to the Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy (MOCDE) as the line Ministry of GAMTEL.
- GAMTEL created in 2001 a wholly owned GSM subsidiary, The Gambia Telecommunications Cellular Company (GAMCEL).
- The successful implementation of the Next-generation Network (NGN) ECOWAN - Gambia Project deployment of 947 kilometers of fiber optic cable in four rings and the replacement of the PSTN and IN networks with advanced NGN solution offerings between 2012 and 2015.
- The successful implementation of the National Broadband Network (NBN) deployment of 420 kilometers of additional optic cable and access networks (Fiber Distribution Terminals, Fiber Access Terminals).
- The successful deployment of the 100g DWDM Cross Gambia Fiber Cable 2 (CG2) 25 kilometers, within the borders of the Gambia to provide backhaul to operators (Senegal and Gambia) and serve as a backup route to our upstream providers.
- According to the GAMBIA PUBLIC UTILITIES REGULATORY AUTHORITY (PURA) report 2020 and internal records to date, GAMTEL is still the leading provider of fixed and mobile broadband telecommunications services and Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in the Gambia. A diverse range of broadband services and a forward-thinking strategy earns this position.
- GAMTEL is connected to the Africa Coast to Europe (ACE) submarine fiber optic cable, which runs from France to South Africa and connects 24 nations with a combined 15Gbps IP transit capacity with tire1 operators and 8Gbps capacity with Senegal free, respectively.
- The launch of Africa Coast to Europe (ACE), and the nationwide fiber network (ECOWAN, and the NBN) have given GAMTEL a competitive advantage in the market for providing cutting-edge ICT solutions for digitalization and broadband connectivity.
- In the event of an ACE failure, traffic will be diverted to Cross Gambia Cable (CG1&2), giving us 99.9% redundancy and competitive advantage.
- The Government and GAMTEL hold the largest stake (49%) in the ACE Gambia division. GSM operators and ISPs share the remaining 51%. Its backbone is the GAMTEL nationwide fiber optic network.
- To guarantee high service availability, essential for corporate clients countrywide, the National Fiber Network Backbone provides seamless protection within the ECOWAN Fiber rings connecting the north and the south bank.
- Currently, GAMTEL is offering fixed broadband services such as ADSL2+, G-Fibre (FTTH), and Fibre to the Business (FTTB), Fixed Wireless, Lit Fibre, and Dark Fibre, with data center services on the horizon.
- We serve both wholesale and retail customers in the Telecoms and Non-Telecoms industries, including schools, Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), Government agencies, parastatals, non-profit organizations and public enterprises in areas such as Telephony (SIP trunking, PRI/PRA/IP-PABX), Internet (ADSL2+, G-Fiber (FTTB, dark fibre), Café/City Wi-Fi, VPN, Web-hosting, and Webmail).
- GAMTEL's co-location services are available to other operators/ISPs and institutions that require our infrastructure, such as fibre infrastructure (open access), land space, towers/masts, equipment hosting, and so on. With backup power generators and security guards on-site at all of our locations, these co-location facilities provide customers with a safe and secure space to store their equipment.