The MEC Hackathon 2019
Organized by Intel, VIAVI, MobiledgeX, Informa Tech, Huawei, Saguna, Telefonica
What is the Hackathon?
The 2019 Hackathon, endorsed by ETSI, was a cutting edge competition designed to test your skills and abilities as a Multi-Access Edge Application developer!
Developers also had the chance to gain remote access in advance to real MEC platforms.
The 5G Challenge
MEC can serve many key 5G use cases. The purpose of this Hackathon was to demonstrate the usage of MEC systems as an enabler for different use cases and business objectives, helping all stakeholders to develop a diverse, open MEC ecosystem. Examples of MEC-enabled Vertical Segments applications include (but are not limited to):
- Automotive and cooperative vehicles
- Applications for the energy industry
- Virtual reality / augmented reality
- IoT scenarios (with sensors, fog nodes)
- Robotics and factories of the future
- eHealth and mHealth
- Media and entertainment vertical
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE MEC HACKATHON 2019 WINNERS
QC Labs won the coveted title of MEC Hackathon 2019 winners with their app, Rehearsal Room, which is an online space for musicians to help them practice together with real-time experience - like a web conferencing tool but optimised for playing instruments. Rehearsal Room will leverage Multi-access Edge Computing to reduce latency and allow musicians to rehearse without a commute! In the MEC hackathon the Rehearsal Room server application was hosted in the Huawei MEC platform deployed in Milan, Italy. This setup demonstrated the ability of the real-life edge cloud to match the stringent latency requirements to create an “in-the-same-room” user experience for the musicians.
The guide on how to use MEC APis
This report will provide guidance for software developers on how to properly approach architecting and developing applications with components that will run in edge clouds
WHAT WAS THE PRIZE?
- Informa Tech offered free passes for an Informa Tech hosted Conference in 2020
- Be part of the Intel Software Innovator program and be eligible to be featured as an Intel Early Innovation Project. The project will be eligible for funding to produce/present a tutorial/paper on their project, hardware funds for their project, and to participate in the start up mentorship program: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-software-innovators
- Intel also offered Amazon Echo devises to the top 3 developer teams
- Telefónica offered the opportunity to deploy a demo on the edge computing facilities at the 5TONIC 5G open innovation test center (http://www.5tonic.org/). The selected teams also had the opportunity to interact with the Wayra acceleration initiative hosted by Telefonica.
- Special prize offered by MobiledgeX: If your app involves machine learning or robotics at the edge, you could be in with a chance of winning $1000. Runners up could also win $500!
- ...and most importantly, a customized Hackathon Winners trophy to proudly display in your office!