7-11 November 2022
On-Demand | Digital Infrastructure Investment to Drive Economic Growth
Available on-demand until July 9 2021
7-11 November 2022
ABOUT THE DIGITAL SYMPOSIUM SERIES
Africa Tech Festival, the continent’s largest tech event, and Connecting Africa, the media brand dedicated to Africa’s digital transformation, are partnering to bring you a series of online events which will take an in-depth look at the key trends driving the continent’s tech and innovation ecosystems.
The first digital symposium of 2021 featured
Average Viewing Time
What's on the Agenda for our upcoming symposium - DIGITAL INFRASTRUCTURE INVESTMENT TO DRIVE ECONOMIC GROWTH
Webinar 1: Building Africa’s Digital Infrastructure Backbone: 2021 & Beyond – 11am CAT, Tues 8 June
- Infrastructure investment status check: Examining where are we now, where we’re going and who is spending what, where. We’ll count the cost of building a digital continent, and long-term costs of not investing
- Infrastructure models: The varied roles of fibre, satellite, and mobile – deepdives into country strategies to integrate diverse infrastructure matrices, and understanding the limits of infrastructure models for landlocked countries and remote areas
- 4IR-ready infrastructure: Building networks fit for the wave of disruptive technology integration
- Governance and regulation that drives pan-African partnerships and PPPs to address continental infrastructure challenges. The role of foreign investment and issues of ownership and control
Webinar 2: Accelerating the Journey to a 5G-enabled Continent – 12.35pm CAT, Tues 8 June
- Pursuing efficient roll-out of 5G infrastructure to deliver real value for consumers and enterprise, examining realistic timelines and ecosystem impact in Africa
- The migration from 2G & 3G to 4G & 5G: examining how unused 3G & 4G spectrum affects 5G roll-out
- Truly digital infrastructure: leveraging 5G to enhance the connectivity potential of smartphones, online platforms, and digital financial services as rapid routes to bring people online. Addressing the enduring issue of affordability for consumers: 5G-enabled handsets and data
- 5G-ready policy frameworks: exploring the role regulation is playing in this journey, and how early adopters are creating fertile environments for 5G growth and integration across the continent
- Disruptive Tech: understanding the opportunities and challenges for 5G-enabled disruptive technologies such as AI, Robotics, Big Data and Cloud Computing
Webinar 3: The Rise of the African Data Centre – 11am CAT, Thurs 10 June
- Mind the gap: Examining how burgeoning adoption of cloud and broader digital services is increasing demand for data centre capacity for enterprise growth into the next decade. What is being done to achieve Africa’s lofty data centre goals, and what are the costs of missing them?
- Tech evolution: How are innovations driving operational efficiencies that mitigate increasing storage demands and power consumption? In the context of telcos, banking and the public sector markets
- Data privacy & security: Exploring new African data privacy frameworks and how data centre providers are navigating the increased spotlight on enterprise data protection, and consumer privacy
- Exploring South Africa’s thriving data centre industry: what can aspiring nations learn from SA’s journey, and how can these learnings help address unequal distribution of capacity across the continent
Webinar 4: Green ICT and sustainable routes to electrification – 12.35pm CAT, Thurs 10 June
- Championing electrification: Prioritising the provision of affordable, reliable and sustainable energy as the first step in Africa’s green energy drive, and realistic timelines for widespread adoption
- Challenge 2035: Unpacking Africa’s incredible natural resources in regional contexts, exploring latency, and examining how nations are addressing legacy challenges such as infrastructure investment and outdated policy to drive meaningful progress towards a ‘Green Africa’
- Green pioneers: Africa’s early adopters of truly sustainable power generation. How are these national efforts, by countries such as Morocco, Kenya, South Africa, Ghana, being achieved through policy & green incentives, PPPs, infrastructure realignment and public education?
- Disruptive technology: Exploring how innovations in renewable energy tech, and device developments are creating more energy efficient consumer and enterprise markets
Green ICT - Platinum Sponsor: Huawei
7-11 November 2022
Our Q1 Symposium: Connecting the Next Billion
Our first Digital Symposium of 2021 focused on 'Connecting the Next Billion', bringing industry experts from organisations including MTN, Safaricom, China Mobile International, Nigerian Communications Satellite Limited and more to share insights on Africa's connectivity landscape.
Confirmed Speakers Include:
The 2021 Symposium series features an expert speaker line-up, including:
Symposium Host: Paula Gilbert | Connecting Africa
Paula Gilbert joined Connecting Africa as Editor in June 2019. The South Africa-based journalist previously worked as a TV producer and reporter for business television channels Bloomberg TV Africa and CNBC Africa and started her career in radio news. She has been reporting on key developments in Africa's telecoms and ICT sectors for most of her journalistic career and prior to joining Connecting Africa was the telecoms editor at online publication ITWeb.
Who will you meet?
500+ senior attendees will join each Digital Symposium, including:
Download the 2021 Brochure
Download the brochure to find out more about the 2020 attendee demographics, topics for 2020 and more.